I made this light glass block for my cousin for her birthday. I designed the flower wreath a while ago in Silhouette Studio and reused it for this as I thought it fitted really well. It’s cut out of purple vinyl and stuck on a hollow glass block with purple LED lights inside. I tied some matching ribbon round it and improvised a bow out of lots of little scraps of various purple ribbon I had lying around.
I designed this nativity silhouette for my latest batch of Christmas boxcards and wanted to try something new with it. The nativity is cut out of vinyl and stuck on the outside of a box frame which has frosted vinyl on the inside along with LED lights.
As I hate to waste vinyl, I cut a much smaller version of the nativity out of the blank area in the stable and made a Christmas bauble. The vinyl silhouette is stuck onto a circle of acetate which was easy to roll up and pop into a plain glass bauble.
Really you could put anything inside a bauble and add fake snow or glitter to give it some sparkle, I just went with something simple.
I was commissioned to do a large order of custom boxcards for the cast of Aladdin, this years panto at the Palace Theatre in Kilmarnock. I had fun designing, cutting and assembling all the little Widow Twankeys to go in the cards along with some very shiny golden lamps. As usual, I designed everything in Silhouette Studio and cut it on my Cameo, although I did draw all the faces by hand. The tiny socks hanging from the tiny washing lines are all made of little scraps I had left over, so none of the cards have two socks the same.
I discovered this concept a while ago on Pinterest and in the Silhouette Online Store but I wanted to make my own version of what is commonly known as a boxcard. I created three different basic shapes for the base card and then spent quite some time designing decorations in different themes to put on the cards. The first batch I made was for my mum as she liked the prototypes I showed her, as well as a birthday card for my friend Laura. (these having Danish sentiments on them as I’m Danish and so are my mum and Laura). As you can see I hadn’t come up with very many different designs yet.
My next batch consisted of 55 cards with various themes for my craft fairs in the autumn. I’ve done quite a lot more different designs and even a few Christmas ones. I plan to make more of those later in the year. Everything is designed in Silhouette Studio and cut on my Silhouette Cameo. I always use Cosmic Shimmer glue to assemble.
As long as I can remember, my parents have had an eternity calendar – or as my mum simply calls it, a ‘birthday calendar’. It has the months and days of the year but no day names so it’s not specific to any one year, meaning you don’t have to discard it and buy a new one every year and then spend ages writing all the birthdays all over again. I’ve done what my mum does and written the names along with the year of birth in brackets (if I know it) so I can figure out what age they are each year.
I made the base calendar out of plain white card and used the metal bits from last year’s his and hers calendar to put it together. I cut the holes with my Silhouette Cameo. The decorations on each month are a mixture of my own designs, designs I bought on the Silhouette or found on various blogs. I’ve sadly misplaced most of the files since so I can’t tell you where I got them but I do remember that the nativity scene was by Lori Whitlock (there’s several similar ones on the Silhouette Store and I plan on doing my own from scratch as well when I get a bit more practice).
The calendar is now in our hallway and is already helping me to remember all the birthdays!
I designed a cutting file for paper gerberas and assembled a couple to frame to go along with my paper roses.
I made them from an old copy of the Reader’s Digest Guide to Creative Gardening that I bought a couple of on eBay.
They’re inspired by the book deconstruction project I did in my third year of uni (pictured on the right) which sadly didn’t survive past my uni years.
I was approached by the Ayr Townscape Heritage Initiative to do another little project for them. This time it was for their annual Earth Hour event. Last year they created a solar garden with glow in the dark paintings and wind chimes created by local school pupils. This time it was a shop window display of solar powered lamps, again with designs by pupils from local schools. Unfortunately I couldn’t make it along to see the shop window in the High Street with all the lamps but I did get a look before the designs were applied to the lamps and they looked pretty good!
I did my own design of a modified version of Ayr’s skyline and used my brand new Silhouette Cameo to cut it out on vinyl for me. It took a while to even make the design cuttable (only having used the software for text until that point and having decided to design it in PhotoShop to start with) but with a little help from Joy over at Joy’s Life I eventually managed to get it to cut right and learned a few things on the way. I cut four of the same design and applied the vinyl to four solar lamps. I thought they turned out pretty well.